|Scientific popularization contest|
The scientific popularization contest was launched in Fall 2007 by CIPI and the Centre d'optique, photonique et laser (COPL) in order to encourage the communication of photonic science to a non-scientific audience.
The contest is open to undergraduate, master's and PhD students in photonic science from one of the canadian universities.
The contest is held once a year in the Fall.
Deadline to submit your article: September 30th
Winners are announced and have their article published in the Fall issue of PHOTONS magazine.
Note: if the number of entries is to low or if the level of popularization is considered inapropriate, CIPI and COPL reserve the right to cancel the contest or to award only one or two prizes.
ABOUT THE ARTICLE
- Topic: a hot photonic science topic accessible to the layman (someone who has no knowledge of photonics)
- Lenght: maximum of 2 pages (8 1/2 x 11 letter size paper)
- Langage: French or English
- Include photos, images and graphics with written permission or appropriate credit to publish these figures
- Your article should be scientifically accurate, with your main sources given at the end of the article.
- Your article shouldn't have been published before in another print media.
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR ARTICLE
- Provide full contact information such as name, address, email address, level of study, program of study, host university.
- You can only submit one article per contest, but you can re-apply to the next contest if you haven't won the first time, or you can submit another article even if you have won the contest before.
- Your article has to be submitted in PDF AND Word formats at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The deadline to submit the article has to be respected.
* AN ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF RECEIPT WILL BE SENT TO YOU BY EMAIL.
The judging panel comprises photonic investigators, professors, scientific journalists and communication experts.
Selection is based on the five following criteria:
1. Relevance of the subject
2. Level of popularization
3. Quality of writing
5. Overall appreciation